EmCeeing and Hosting The Sunapee Community CoffeeHouse!
NOTES: “ Emceeing/Hosting is fun and easy! There's not really tons to do, especially with the help you'll have.
Arrive at 6:ish to help musicians get oriented and their gear unpacked. Help put our chairs.
Tea and coffee, and goodies are provided and sold by the church, so no worries there.......
- Your main job is to host the musician but there are a few things to set up, see below...
- The Emcee provides continuity for the evening.
- The emcee makes both the musicians and audience feel welcome and supported!
- The MC should thank the sponsor of the night at least three times...
at the beginning, middle and end of the night!
- Oh yeah,Have fun, the times are approximate!
Welcome the musician/help them with their gear if needed.
Put the smaller sign board out in front of the entrance with "Welcome, Tonight act is____" on the white board part.
Get the stage lights out of the plastic hunting case, and the bigger black light stand from the cloth stand case. You will see two other stands for speakers. They're smaller.
Set up the stand and lights on top, and Plug in stage lights
There is a long printout of the website, please put that out and tape it up next to the baked goodies. But don't tape on the wall just the door jams. (it removes the paint on the walls!)
Put out the cool bullitin board on it's small tripod. It has CD covers on it.
Find the hat.
Put up the blue cloth backdrop by using the orange strap and hooks on the big closet door jams.
Arrange chairs and a few tables for an audience.
1) Get the audience's attention, Make sure you have the audience's attention before you start. Welcome people to the coffeehouse
Mention the 3 things that make the CoffeeHouse what it is:
1) Respectful audience: Listening Room type atmosphere: support the musician on stage by listening and not talking during the performance.
2) We Pass the Hat :
3) Community effort : Volunteers, (always needed) (posters/emceeing the PA etc..)
7:40 (mo o less)
1) Go to the mic, before their last song starts. Don't worry about " interrupting" the musicians! They'll follow your lead, after all you're asking for their money!!
(Ask them the title of that second-to-last song in their set list, So if they might forget to invite you up on stage, you'll know when to pop up there.)
2) Introduce the hat: “We pass the hat”, $5 or even more, or whatever you can afford. You can explain that the contents of the hat is all that the musicians receive for coming and playing for us.
3) Mention the Goodies provided by the church, and donations accepted in the basket.
1) Use that Mic
2) Thank the performer for a GREAT first set!
3) Tell the audience “see you in 15 minutes”.
Note: Please don't turn all the house lights on, (just one row). It ruins the atmosphere.
Go to the Mic & Get the audience's attention
1) Community Announcements
- Feel free to include any community announcements, music or otherwise. We're here to spread "community".
2) Ask for volunteers to help take down PA gear tonight.
3) Looking for Poster persons to rotate putting up posters in a adjacent towns (once every 3 months)
4) Tell the audience they're doing great in keeping with the listening room atmosphere.
5) Introduce Performer for second set
1) Re-introduce/ pass the hat if it looks like a new crowd has arrived. But, let the audience know they "don't have to give again, unless they feel like it!"
Thank the Musicians
Thank the Audience for coming!
Help Break down the chairs and clean.